Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Apples in the Orchard

We spent 2 days on the apple theme for day 6 with Mother Goose Time.  The first day was spent at the apple orchard, picking apples.  The girls loved going there.  They each picked half a peck of different apples.
Addie wasn't home for day 2, so I just used the Little Goose book and worked with Elli.  I love that Mother Goose Time can be individualized for each child.  Little Goose is a supplement with simplified lessons for toddlers.  I read the provided book, Johnny, to Elli.  We talked about the pictures and I had her find certain colored items throughout the book.
Elli loved her completed puppet.
After we read the book of the month Elli made her own Johnny puppet.  She played with it for quite awhile after completing the project.  We pretended he was planting seeds and eating apples.  I love that the provided pieces made him look like the character in the book, so we could use him to retell the story.
We looked at the life cycle of an apple tree and made up movements to go with each card.
Instead of doing the tray play activity Elli used a textured apple stamp to make prints.  She loves painting and picked this over the suggested activity.
I saved the last activity, taste testing the apples we picked, until Addie was home.  I knew she would be upset if we ate the apples without her.  We had 5 different types of apples; the girls ate slices from each and then picked their favorite. After we were done I cut up the remaining pieces and we made an apple pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment