Thursday, May 7, 2015

Seeds

I had so much fun with the girls today learning about seeds.  It was such a beautiful day so we started off outside looking at and sorting different types of seeds.
We also planted a herb garden and started some seeds that we'll move into our garden when it warms up.  The girls had so much fun playing in the dirt and "helping" me plant everything.  I love that Mother Goose Time provides ideas for outdoor activities in every lesson, in this case planting an herb garden. It's great to be able to stay on track with the lessons while taking full advantage of the great weather we're having.
After spending hours outside we came in and the girls used the provided geometric shape pieces to create designs.  Addie decided she wanted to make a daisy.  I was very impressed with her creativity and how she was able to utilize the shapes to create her own flower.  After she was done she helped Elli separate the shapes into piles based on color. 
Next we talked about what kind of clothes you would wear to garden and then the girls created pictures of themselves gardening.
I read Jack and the Beanstalk to the girls and then asked the included comprehension questions.  After I read it Addie used the story telling set to retell the story to Elli and me.
I soaked bean seeds over night and cut them open for the girls to see what they looked like.  We also stuck some wheat seeds in tubes with paper towels that absorb water.  We'll check on them throughout the month and will hopefully be able to see the roots and stem growing.  I gave the girls magnifying boxes and a magnifying glass and let them examine the seeds.  I was also going to cut open an apple, pepper and squash for the girls to see and count the seeds, but Elli wound up needing to go to bed so we'll try that tomorrow.
We read All About Seeds and Addie completed her math and reading workbook pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment