Monday, March 2, 2015

Stars

Today was our first day using the Mother Goose Time curriculum.  The day was all about stars.  Each day starts with circle time, where you go over the weather and put up a calendar piece.   There is also a cd with circle time songs that comes in the starter pack.  I have a tri folding board that is going to hold all of our circle time activities, this way it can be folded up and put away when not in use.  I want to laminate the items that are going to be used every month so my 21 month old (Elli) doesn't ruin them.  Unfortunatly the laminating pouches I ordered online still haven't arrived, so I haven't put the  board together yet.  We started off talking about stars and then did a star hunt.  I think this was Elli's favorite activity of the day. 


After the stars were collected we sorted them by color and talked about red giants and blue dwarfs. 





Next we talked about why stars appear to twinkle and made glitter star wands that we danced with.  I think I'm going to be finding glitter on the floors for weeks after all the crazy dancing the happened. 
We talked about how stars explode after a long time, which prompted my 5 year old (Addie) to ask if the sun was going to explode.  I love how she's starting to put concepts together by herself.  We made name tags and pretended to be exploding supernovas.  Addie said pretending to explode was her favorite activity of the day.
working on name tags

getting ready to explode

 We also received a cute theme poster in our bag today with 4 magnifying glasses.  The glasses have different pictures you try to find on the poster.  After you find the picture there are activities to do on the back, like bounce like an astronaut on the moon. 



math and reading practice

tray play activity from the little goose book
 We ended the day by talking about stars and reviewing what we'd learned.  We also listened to the blast off to space cd and danced some more.  I wasn't really sure if my 21 month old would get involved with the lessons, but she seemed to love everything.  The activities really held her attention well.  My 5 year old  had so much fun that she didn't want to stop and kept asking me to do more.  I can't wait to see what the rest of the month has in store.

4 comments:

  1. Very neat! Looks like a lot of fun for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both had so much fun. I knew Addie would like it but was surprised by how much Elli seemed to enjoy everything.

      Delete
  2. Super cute, what a great day! My kids loved being supernova's too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a simple idea, but I never would have thought of. Glad your kids are having fun with it too.

      Delete